Having a pet home is one of the best ways to make things better. But, if you have a dog at home, you will encounter them peeing on your carpet. You cannot stop the call of nature to happen, and you love your pet just to let them go away. So, in this article, we will find out how we can get rid of pet urine smell and stain on our carpet.
Why Do Pets Pee On The Carpet?
Before doing an action to remove those pee stain and urine, you must know first why your pet pees on the carpet. They say prevention is better, and it can save you or your loved ones from the downside of having a pet like a dog. Some of the reasons why your pet does the thing:
- You set a long time before you let the dog go out.
- The dog may be sick, and you need to attend to its medical needs.
- The dog may be afraid or nervous or stressed in an accident.
- The pet may be a puppy still to go out to have its break.
A dog can smell 40 times more than a human can. Sometimes, they use this ability in a lot of ways. You also know that this trait enables the dog to smell its urine. That situation can be used to avoid peeing on your carpet. If you have another dog, you can let the smell of their urine be a signal to drawbacks. Thus, they will avoid doing the thing on that spot since you have set a signal for them not.
Peeing on the carpet or even anywhere is a common thing for puppies and older dogs that cannot hold it for a more extended period. If you see that your dog goes over and over to the same spot, you need a professional cleaning service even you think that it’s already clean.
Removing The Pet Urine
Since you have more idea about why your dog acts like that, you can look at this to get rid of pet urine in the carpet. It is also essential to clean your dog urine right after he finishes its act or the soonest time you notice. Fresh stains are easier to remove than the later ones.
After noticing the urine:
1. Sop The Urine As Much As You Can
Other dog owners use combinations of paper towels, newspapers, tags, magazines, or pages of old books to remove the urine right away. Layer your towel or material on the dog’s urine. You must be sure that the paper towel or cloth is large enough to cover and block the direct contact of a newspaper or magazine. Then put pressure to soak up the liquid as much as you can.
2. Rinse Or Wash The Urine Area With Clean Water
Better use more paper towels to remove the rinsed water.
3. Spray The Affected Urine Area With Vinegar Solution
Vinegar is highly acidic, consisting of pH 2.4. This acidity makes the vinegar a natural and good antibacterial cleanser. Also, as an antimicrobial solution, it can even kill mold. And as well know, vinegar is cheap, safe, and eco-friendly. It can loosen and eliminate dirt for the carpet.
4. Put Baking Powder Over The Vinegar Solution
The mixture will create upon contact. Cover that with a paper towel, then rinse and dry after 24 hours.
You can also try an enzymatic cleaner to remove dog urine and for other benefits. These can be availed from pet stores. But you must read product directions carefully before putting on your carpet.
Removing The Pet Urine Smell
An unwanted stain can mark on your carpet your dog pees on it. You may be wondering how to remove old pet urine stains out? If you do not have much budget, you can buy a commercial-grain stain remover from your local store. This has an active enzyme that attacks the stain mark. Another option is to rent or buy a carpet cleaning machine or equipment and clean the urine spot on your own.
There are also other good options. Dish soap or vinegar, baking, soda, or peroxide.
1. Mix half teaspoon of dish soap with 1 cup of hot water. Stir the mixture until it becomes foamy.
2. Pour the soapy water onto the spot and let it be soaked.
3. Blot the spot with a dry paper towel. As much as you can, remove all the possible liquid. If necessary, you can also use the vacuum.
4. Repeat the steps 1-3 until you find good results or until you are satisfied.
Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Peroxide
1. Mix vinegar with water.
2. Soak the stain with vinegar and water mixture.
3. Blot the urine spot with a rag. Press firmly to go deep into the stain.
4. Scrub the solution with a brush.
5. Dry the area with a paper towel.
7. Put Baking powder on the mark and leave the layer over it.
8. Mix a half cup of peroxide with one teaspoon dish soap. Mix thoroughly.
9. Pour an amount of peroxide solution on the stain and brush it.
10. Dry the stained spot.
Put a liberal amount of cornstarch to the stain. Cover the whole spot. Then, let the cornstarch and let it stay there for 30 minutes. After that, rinse the stain with hot water. Let the stained area dry with a paper towel or cloth. Press it firmly to absorb all the water.
Mix baking soda and water in a small container. Put the baking soda paste to the stained spot. You can use gloves to avoid the urine. Then, pour vinegar into the area to cover the stain. After that, press firmly to remove the liquid. Repeat the procedure as necessary.
Carpet Cleaner Rental
You can also try renting a cleaning machine. Some people rent the machine for one day. This is effective, depending on particular situations.
When the house smells dog urine all over it, that must be the time that you need professional service. DIY methods are suitable for small areas, but when a larger space or entire area is affected, it needs a paid service for actual good results.
Family and friends bring us the feeling of being home. But, pets also give us the companionship we can never get from human relationships. That is why we have to be considerate of our pets and the people around us. These ideas will help you maximize your home ambience, and pet affection for your own happiness and accountability.