We have decided to investigate this topic since a space heater is one of the reasons for a large number of home fires. So, this information is really useful for a large number of households that have this tool.
By having each of the following tips, you can offer your family a higher level of security. Along with this, you can enjoy greater comfort from your space heater.
Also, we will give you some important tips to get a space heater with excellent performance.
Can an incident occur with a space heater?
Heaters are typically used much longer in the winter seasons. In particular, space heaters are used for a room or a small area. Besides, there are different types of heaters, such as those that run on gas or electricity.
Also, space heaters are very popular due to their efficiency and adaptability. However, some care must be taken when using this tool.
There are some very common threats when using this type of heater. Some of them are carbon monoxide poisoning, fire, and burns. Even, there are a lot of fires and deaths year after year in the United States.
Some important tips for using a space heater
It is not recommended to leave a space heater on for several hours. Not only is it harmful to health, but the most important thing is that it is dangerous and could cause a fire.
1. Ambient air
The air generated by a space heater is generally dry. This can be detrimental to health, and specifically to each person’s respiratory system.
The main discomforts that this can cause are sinusitis, nosebleeds, asthma or bronchitis. Also, this could cause some form of dehydration in some parts of the body. The most common is when the eyes tend to itch, the natural moisture of the skin begins to disappear and body fluids are depleted.
2. Insulation not recommended
You must take into account the ventilation of a room when you turn on a space heater. Therefore, it is harmful if the air in a room becomes increasingly dry.
Sooner or later, the heat will escape from the room in some way. Once this happens, only one type of bad air will remain inside a room.
3. Inadequate lighting
Deciding to leave the space heater on and go to sleep is a very bad decision. In short, you will be putting your life and that of your family in danger. Along with this, the smell will not alert you in time when danger is near.
That is to say that with any luck, you can realize once it’s too late. So, it is preferable to adopt these preventive tips.
Purchase considerations in a space heater
Considering some important items can greatly increase the security of your home. Also, there are a large number of space heaters available on the market.
So, you should consider the following features if you want to get the safest space heater:
- Timer function: With this function, the space heater can be turned off after a certain amount of time. This way you don’t have to worry about leaving the heater on.
- Self-regulating thermostat: This function is another of the most useful and safest for a heater. This feature allows the heater to turn on only when the temperature drops below a certain level.
- Scheduled shutdown: This is a feature much like the first one. The heater will simply stop when the ambient temperature exceeds a certain limit.
- Dump safety: This feature is very useful when there are pets or children in the home. The heater turns off when it is tilted at a certain angle.
- Remote control: This is an additional security feature. It can also provide some comfort to be able to control your heater remotely
Space heater safety tips
- You must keep away the most flammable materials such as oil, gasoline, furniture, clothing or other similar
- You should be careful with the elderly, pets and children near the heater
- The heater must be positioned on a hard flat surface
- Never use this implement to dry any garment.
- It is recommended to install some kind of smoke or fire alarm
It is generally not recommended to leave a heater on overnight. So, it is best to turn it on before bed to get the exact temperature. Once you have reached the ideal temperature, you must turn it off and then go to sleep.
There is a wide variety of space heaters with safety features. However, it is best to prevent all kinds of situations and turn off the heater at night.
It can be useful to leave a space heater on while you work. However, it is important to pay attention to the operation of the heater from time to time.
It is best to leave a space heater on for up to 3 hours. Once you have reached 3 o’clock, you will need to temporarily turn off your space heater to avoid inconvenience.
By following these simple tips, you can give your family the comfort and safety they need. It is important to remember that a simple oversight can create a fire.
This is why space heaters are the second leading cause of home fires in the United States. With which knowing how long can space heaters be left on, you will be able to enjoy the suitable temperature, without worrying about major inconveniences.