In a Hurry? Check Our Top 3 Picks!
If you have a small garage, it’s hard to store a lot of items. What if you have heirloom pieces that you don’t want to let go of but it’s eating up space in your homes? Good for you if you have a garden or a garage shed. Otherwise, the only solution to get it out of the easy is to rent storage units.
These units are rather convenient and some already come with a padlock. But will you really use those? It’s best to buy your own because you will not know who has a duplicate copy of that key. Thus, you need the best lock for storage units to keep your belongings safe and sound.
Having your own lock will also give you peace of mind. And you have to buy from reliable brands so it wouldn’t be easy to pry open. So head on to our list to find what locks can keep your heirloom pieces safe in public storage.
This is a quick rundown of some of the best products from our list of best storage locks. The list will help you understand how the products are stacked up based on their capabilities. The overview is only a brief summary of our list and therefore you should not skip the main list so that you don’t miss anything important.
- German products are known for their strong build quality and this storage unit lock by ABUS is no exception. The ABUS 24/60 Padlock is one of the safest and the most accurate in terms of its locking ability. This is a good choice for a long-term investment.
- If you are looking at a simple and well-built design that comes at a very affordable price then you should definitely look at Master Lock 40T Padlock. Master is a well-known name in the safety lock market and they also have a lock made out of the best-hardened boron carbide which is the Master Discus Lock.
- If you are someone who is not good with taking care of your keys then you can go for the 4 Digit Combination Disc Padlock which is one of the most secure heavy-duty locks on this list.
- If you wish to have a lock that is lightweight and does not compromise on its safety, then the ABUS 20/70 and Brinks Discus Lock are good options.
How to Know Which Lock Is Good for Your Storage Units?
There are a few things that you need to put on your list before you go to buy a lock for your storage unit. If you can put a tick on these factors, then you are good to go with that product.
The material of your storage unit lock makes a lot of difference in making sure that your valuables are all safe inside your unit. Some materials can be forcefully opened by cutting or hitting with a hammer and you should avoid buying such weak materials. Stainless steel of the best quality would be the best choice.
This is the most important thing that you should look for. The size of your lock should be able to go in properly through the hatch otherwise it would be too loose or tight.
Look for locks that are certified or authorized according to the safety standards of the particular country you are in.
10 Best Lock for Storage Unit In 2020
|ABUS 24/60 Padlock||Stainless Steel||7.4 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|Master Lock 40T Padlock||Alloy Steel||18.4 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|4 Digit Combination Disc Padlock||Stainless Steel||18 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|ABUS 20/70 Padlock||Stainless Steel||5.6 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|Discus Disc Storage Locks||Stainless Steel||9 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|Brinks Discus Lock||Stainless Steel Shackle||8 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|Key Padlock||Stainless Steel||17.6 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|Large 4-Position Padlock||Stainless Steel||9.9 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|BRINKS Discus Padlock||Stainless Steel||11.2 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
|Master Discus Lock||Boron Carbide||3.2 ounces||Check Price on Amazon|
Nothing can secure storage units better than this “Best Pick” top, overwhelmingly high-quality disc lock from the ABUS brand.
There’s so much that the dust cover does other than keeps the dust out. It also works to keep grease concentration impact from within. Come to think of it as a constant protector from the inside out. That’s what! The fine transitions in between its weld areas tell people of its undeniable finesse. No wonder why it ranks as the most popular brand and the best lock for storage units in the market this year. People all agree that its manufacturers and sellers aren’t simply making things up.
One of the most interesting things about ABUS locks is that they are making processes. It involves lots of handwork done by experts and they do not manufacture their product based on complete automated machines.
This claim about its high-quality weld seam is strongly backed by testimonies left and right. Although the product has problems with a little of this and that, it remains solid, durable and most of all, strong (in terms of locking ability).
Its 2-3/8″ width with 5/16″ diameter and a Diskus steel quality strongly cause people to consider the entire disc lock to be a major work of art. Now, that claim pales in comparison to its “utterly accurate” tag. Made in Germany, the product truly embodies precision and accuracy in terms of its storage unit locking mechanism.
But even this product, no matter the legacy, still bears certain factors to improve from, particularly on its problematic shipping process and a similar, shareable key.
- This storage lock is very low maintenance and does not require any extra care after purchase.
- It involves a dust cover feature that keeps the dust away from its steel body and therefore allowing the smooth mechanism of the lock even after years.
- You can clearly see the highest quality seam weld on this lock which gives you proof of good material.
- Made in Germany with expert precision along with the use of technology.
- The shareable keys provided with the lock are all identical.
Why choose it?
- Beyond the comfort, beauty, and security it provides, this top-notch “best pick” disc lock from ABUS proves to be simple, easy, and an effective means for securing a quality life.
Earning the “Best Value” priority on our list of the best disc locks, this double-disc advantage by the Master Lock brand provides unit storage alternatives in every situation.
Both reviewers and experts consider it empowering! Why not? After all, it works based on a 4-pin cylinder passage. Meaning, it bears the littlest chances of accidental lock-ins imaginable.
Also bearing one of the most hardened steel shackles available in the market today, this “best value” disc lock is represented by a powerful pair sharing 2-3/4 in. wide lock body; 3/8 in. diameter shackle with 5/8 in. length, 3/4 in. width dimensions.
I personally think the idea of a pair is monumental for the brand. One can truly imagine its manufacturers wittingly crafting through every knick of the way to come out with such a brilliant idea. Consequently, this feature too admonishes the 4-pin cylinder passage.
Other strong marks the product can truly boast of include a cut-resisting stainless steel bar, hidden shackle, and a weather-resisting quality. And, yes! It resists rust as well. Given these facts, there’s no way you can deny its long-lasting capacity!
Complex shackle system. Engineered to block out intrusion from external blows and cuts, it leads the key to a highly complex labyrinth of ways in and out. It does not lower its guards anytime because both keys open both locks. That’s why!
Some problems with the disc lock include a peeled-back chrome and easily-chipped keys. You just have to be extra -careful with those keys.
- 4-Pin cylinder mechanism that does not let the lock open without a valid key.
- Hardened steel shackles that cannot be easily damaged by external forces.
- Well-crafted design that fits properly on your storage units.
- The material is weatherproof and cut-proof which makes it a good choice for outdoor storage units.
- The quality of the key is not as good as the lock.
Why choose it?
- This “best value” disc lock wouldn’t have earned such a title if it’s not a 100% safe & secure lock for all seasons!
If there’s one fact about this top disc lock from Delswin that fully distinguishes it from the rest, that would be its keyless magic! This is one of the most popular ones from our best lock for storage unit list.
Compact. Solid. Strong. 100% Safe and Secure. High-quality stainless steel finish. But most of all, it’s keyless! For that, it has been frequently regarded by many as a pleasure lock. This is surely one of the best locks for storage unit
Designed with a 100% anti-corrosion and antifreeze stainless steel finish, it can withstand the most extreme conditions expected. By its trusty 4-digit combination, it will surely keep your storage unit safe and intact.
Nowadays, thieves have shifted interest to padlocks. Disc locks, on the one hand, tend to be noisier when impacted. Moreover, it takes much time before releasing shackle free.
Experts were also quick to reference Delswin’s historical feat across the years. Certainly tagged a winner, the brand was first to innovate with digit-combination locks.
With a diameter of ⅜ inches by ¾ in length, it fits various latch sizes and widths. In fact, it clips smoothly despite given circumstances like cold weather, hurried actions, and a lot more.
Reviewers also appreciate the fact that the disc lock is heavy, but not too heavy. As mentioned earlier, it is compact and solid enough to resist external forces. That also includes impacts, blows, and blunt cutting. By all means, it is keyless, users don’t have to always have to be burdened by carrying keys all the time.
One pro tip is to never save your lock’s pin on any electronic devices as they are vulnerable to hacking. You can write it down on a piece of paper and keep it where nobody expects it to be.
- A compact yet solid and strong design.
- High-quality stainless steel material used in the locks.
- Anti-corrosion & antifreeze stainless steel finish that works smoothly in all weathers.
- The whole lock works on a keyless mechanism which is way safer than a lock with keys.
- The lock has razor-sharp edges which can give you scratches if not handled carefully.
Why choose it?
- This top product from Delswin Victor is one of the most innovative items in the lock market in the century!
An ultimate premium disc lock by the ABUS brand, earning our “Premium Pick” title, is a miracle disc lock made from Germany; and, it’s all about lowering the number of cases of picked locks.
Disc locks are all about variations. Variations only increase the time spent on picking a lock. However, it is not simply all about that because it touches on the other main aspects of security.
Although these keyless locks for storage units aren’t as light as they promise to be, notwithstanding that they don’t prove as remarkable as the previous version, they’ve got the highest number of variations. Supported by a well-enclosed shackle, it shields its own from external attacks.
Reviewers also appreciate it for its anti-cut plate-a plate so strong even impacts cannot break it apart. It should easily resist breakage as it is handmade of steel from the inside out.
Experts believe that its several keystrokes promote uniqueness on its actual stroke. Certainly, it also brings about firmness among the pins in terms of yields. That would prove hard and almost impossible for thieves to break apart.
Germany-made, it carries an unmistakably premium finish. One can even see from its key entry that it doesn’t easily call out with several criminal attempts, no matter the force. Hand-made from Germany, it truly represents precision. Meaning, if you know the right stroke, you no longer have to repeat it. It’s surely another great product in our best lock for storage unit list.
- Added keystroke variations that make the lock very safe.
- Anti-cut plate used on the material which does not take damage easily.
- Firm pin placement inside the lock does not let random key open the lock.
- The design of this lock has a very premium finish to it.
- This lock has a very precise motion of the key that functions smoothly without jerks.
- The lock is smaller in size and it won’t fit some storage units.
Why choose it?
- This latest disc lock by the ABUS brand is all about precision and key control, making it the perfect disc lock for users in hurry!
Another high-performing disc lock from the DAYGOS brand, this top product is the standard design for disc locks!
There’s no denying it. It’s all got all the experts and reviewers could notice of the disc locks. Wait. It’s got more. Because of that fact, it hails as the standard design for all disc locks.
From its waterproof casing, shielded shackle, to its comfortable 2-3/4 inch wide lock body, 3/8 inch diameter dimensions, it truly zeroes in on any given set of standards for a disc lock.
But let’s talk about its shielded shackle design first. What’s in it that’s so special? You see, according to locking experts, most Daygos shielded shackles emanate stark breathability above others. You can really see in the shackle a perfect allowance toward the lock body.
What’s so specifically perfect about it then? Well, it keeps the key from completing an entire 360-degree turn. So, it should not be easily picked. Plus, it’s even too heavy to work on without making a sound.
Although I personally consider its weight as a minus, it ends up as a glorious plus in the case of security and protection. Why that’s the very rationale of buying and using locks. Thus, that alone should serve an entire purpose.
The product is also one-keyed, so it does easily open up to other key variants should you lose your key along the way. In case you lose the key, there’s customer service for you. As for its responsiveness, that’s another area for critique. But how do I rate its customer service? Well, I would give it a 5/10.
- It has a very standard and simple design that does the job.
- The lock has a waterproof casing which makes it a good choice for outdoor units.
- They have highly responsive customer care service and support.
- The lock comes in very bulky packaging that is not needed.
Why choose it?
- This top disc lock from the Daygos brand is the standard design for all disc locks. You would love this best lock for your storage unit.
Made more comfortable, this equally topnotch disc lock by the BRINKS brand integrates the lock body to the stainless steel main and surrounds itself with a rubber casing for anti-scratch results.
One user shared a story of an old Brinks Discus lock that he found in his father’s house which was in very good condition even after being stored in a trunk for a decade. This explains the good material and durability of the product.
Yes. It may look too convenient, but it’s the least convenient it can be, for both intruders and, unfortunately, users too! It is indeed comfortable to hold and place, but surely not easy. However, once you get the hang of it, you’ll surely enjoy its long-deemed ease.
Users agree that its black rubber bumper not only protects the steel surface from scratches, they also believe that prolongs the entire disc lock life. Even in the finest of ways, the damage always comes to a disc lock.
Now, it’s going to be up to the device (as per envisioning by its manufacturers) as to how it can withstand all these pressures. While other users claim that it’s not accurately secure, most would say that it’s strong enough to delay intrusion.
Having said that, it truly works best on storage units, gates, locker rooms, etc. Consequently, it is also intended to bar any areas that store and protect your items.
Now, let’s talk about its locked body. While it has had fairly surfaced out as the product’s most popular feature, it also equally demands further scrutiny for critiquing alone.
The integrated lock body to stainless steel main provides a firm stroke per insert. The design, in and of itself, promotes certainty. However, it also condones internal damage. Regularly greasing the device would greatly address that speculated problem.
- Black rubber bumper which really helps in avoiding damage by the lock falling.
- The lock is highly durable and does not catch rusting and jamming inside even after years.
- The body of this lock is anti-scratch and weatherproof.
- It has a very firm keystroke which feels solid and sturdy while using.
- It does not easily fit on U-haul trucks and storage units in an RV.
Why choose it?
- With prolonged life, this best disk padlock can delay intrusion with the most trustworthy performance.
7. Key Padlock
A classic! That’s how users consider this top disc lock from the SnapSafe brand…A compact lock, it improves from the classic Discus design.
Nothing from our list could take SnapSafe disc lock’s place when it comes to comfort and ease. It’s got all the makings of a classic disc lock– Discus design, hardened stainless steel, multifunctional command, and a lot more.
It sort of marries Abus’ and Master Lock’s assets together. In addition to that, its Discus design is updated to the tee. This feature proves to be one of the most underrated assets in the product.
It keeps users and experts wondering why it was not highlighted by its sellers and manufacturers. Instead, they sensationalize its water-proof packing. Why, despite its actual “waterproofness”, such a feature is not at all that remarkable.
Back to its remarkable assets! Well, it’s easy to lock and open. That, for one, secures it a place on our list. So, beyond the comfort and security, it’s so easy to manipulate.
However, that does not mean that it’s easy to manipulate for thieves and intruders. Of course not! It introduces more than 45 stroke variations before presenting the shortest possibility.
When it comes to its official keystroke, there’s only one. And, that’s a sure comfort. Further, supporting this advantage, making sure that it delivers at par, is its rust-protected steel body and overall sturdy shackle case.
- The lock has a very simple design that is easy to use.
- The design is made from hardened stainless steel for heavy-duty storage units.
- The design is completely weatherproof and you can use it in outdoor units as well.
- The lock comes with several keys that have a similar fitting design.
Why choose it?
- This best product from SnapSafe is all about ease, comfort, and classic security.
Second in the ranking, following Delswin’s standard innovation, this equally impressive keyless disc lock by the WANLIAN brand wows users with a massive, rounded, and ultra-strong stainless steel body!
There’s no mistaking WINLIAN’s top disc lock! With its humongous size, solid and compact, it can’t go unnoticed. Yes. It can, unfortunately, be excessively heavy, despite its claims, but at least it’s a top security lock!
Its steel placement has been proven by experts to allow double-roundedness in terms of key and pin entry. Double-roundedness, in this case, robust out the lock’s disc to an external bulkiness.
And, this can either be advantageous or disadvantageous for the user. But whatever the case, the lock has had to attend to all latch diameters. In this case, fortunately, it does.
Reviewers also could not get enough of its keyless magic. Powered by a convenient 4-position combination, it proves elegant;y easy, and comfortable for the user, not the intruder.
While some complain about the digit bar being high-maintenance, having to require constant greasing, most find it utterly practical. Practicality, in this case, is strongly determined by the nature of your storage needs. In the end, you will have to know your needs.
Some notable problems with the product include a problematic A-B lever range, an excessively heavyweight, an excessive bulkiness, and an easily rusted surface.
- This lock is certified as one of the top security padlocks without a key.
- Anti-corrosion, anti-scratch, and anti-smash features make it nearly impossible to forcefully unlock.
- The keyless mechanism of this lock is one of the biggest benefits. People can steal your key but not your pin.
- This lock has excessive weight and looks very bulky.
Why choose it?
- This excessively wide and heavy disc lock secures a close-to-all-latch, resisting any form of external forces.
Another magic disc lock from the BRINKS brand, this impressive disc lock does not have the usual rubber casting, but rather a powerful steel surface that resists rusting and weathering.
If only it as durable as it is smooth, I would personally consider it perfect. But being imperfect is not bad. Anyway, our list of the top disc locks isn’t all about perfection. It’s all about innovation and improvement.
What about its security? Beyond keeping break-ins out, it surely holds strongly to latch. As per the experiment done, despite being smashed into half, it’s proven to keep its shackle latched.
Keyless, this top BRINKS model beats its precedent at a point. Although it isn’t as neat and durable as the first, it still manages to keep your storage protected. In addition to that, it’s got a smoother and stronger steel surface.
Specially chrome-coated, its steel quality is guaranteed to instantly resist rusting, weathering, and external impacts. It does so while firmly pinned on to digital combination security code.
And, what are the chances? That would be 100 to 1. That’s how certain its combination is. That only means that it’s very difficult to override. Along that line, it keeps a firm grip from the inside out.
- This lock has made a lot of upgrades from its previous version.
- Rust & weather-resistant chrome-coated surface that stays the same for a long time.
- Firm Digital Combination Code (100:1 ratio)
- A very compact design that is very sturdy and strong.
- The digits on the lock feel very loose after frequent use.
Why choose it?
- This high-quality best lock for storage unit works perfectly for users who prefer a more certain digit control, instead of direct shackle latching.
Another Master Lock masterpiece, this Boron-Carbide-powered disc lock impresses with hardened Boron steel– all suited up to store and protect items with grace.
Bearing the usual Master Lock command, this Boron-Carbide finished disc lock channels hardened, un-sawable steel for up to 50% capacity. Reviewers and experts alike look up to it when it comes to its Magnum stainless steel tag!
Certainly, it is guaranteed to store units with maximum security. For a one-padlock, two-keyed item, it sure does keep a good toe of action. It may have had a lot to improve upon, but at least, it manages to keep a strong stainless steel construction at the helm.
It’s 2-3/4 in. wide lock body; 3/8 in. diameter shackle with 5/8 in. length, 1-1/32 in. width dimensions earned ire from traditional users though. Awkward. It indeed is. But that does not mean that it does not latch on.
Like BRINK’s rubbered bumper, this one got a rubbered body lock for easier key manipulation. For the strictest users, it was a certified plus, not a fancy. Personally, I also find the rubbered body lock useful as it keeps the key in place when motioned.
All in all, the Boron-Carbide design makes the whole piece a powered-up mechanism. It delays all external intrusion and therefore, holds the shackle together in the face of extreme weather and rusting conditions.
Master has been a giant in this industry for a long time and that’s why the brand featured twice on this list. You can rest assured that the lock will work just fine by just going with the name of this brand.
- This lock has a hardened boron carbide finish that is as good and strong as any other stainless steel lock.
- The rubbered bumper on the body keeps the lock safe from external damages.
- The rubber covering bumper on the body of this lock is easily detachable.
Why choose it?
- This latest disc lock by Master Lock is all about tough action, notwithstanding that it maintains grip until relieved.
What to Consider Before Buying the Best Lock for a Storage Unit (A Buying Guide)
What’s in a storage locker? Keep scrolling to find out what you should consider before buying one.
1. Hasp Size
Locks have sizes. And you have to ensure that it fits the lock of your storage unit. The hasp is the shackle that the padlocks secure too. So the hole must be big enough for the lock to pass through.
2. Location of the storage unit
Is it located inside or outside? Will it be subjected to rain and snow? Knowing this is crucial because you have to make sure that the lock will be able to withstand the elements if it’s outside.
Another thing to consider is the crime rate in the area. If it is situated in a not-so-friendly neighborhood, you might want to amp up your budget to buy a more quality padlock.
You may also like: Best Jewelry Safe
The cost is relative to the two times we have mentioned above. The higher the cost often means that the lock is equipped with more safety features.
Cheaper padlocks will often suffice if you aren’t afraid of losing what’s in the storage unit. But then again, there’ll be just a handful who would not mind. Since you rented a storage unit to keep your things, it must mean value to you, right?
Why Use A Disc Lock?
When it comes to storage unit security— whether it be for trucks, bikes, gates, doors, garage, etc.– nothing performs with 100% precision and accuracy like the disc lock home depot can do.
The second problem with locks is picking. And, regular padlocks have alarmingly become less and less of a challenge for thieves each day. Suppose a disc lock gives in to breakage and impact, it’s at least at the expense of time. Meaning, it delays break-ins over a 50% accuracy.
This is especially true for hardened stainless steels, shielded shackles and rubbered bumpers. After all, all these configurations have been eyed to serve a certain purpose– comfort, security, and ease.
For your easier reference, we’ve bulleted some of the known benefits provided by the disc locks
- They’re double-locked, or double-rounded to resist cutting, filling, or sawing.
- They’re rust and weather-resistant. That includes extremely hot and cold weather.
- They’ve got drain holes to rid them of moist and dry air.
- Some of their variants are keyless.
- They’re cheaper than the traditional locks.
- They’re more difficult to pick and manipulate.
- They’re mostly made of hardened stainless steel.
- They’re versatile enough to fit various latch bars.
- They’re easier and more comfortable to use.
- The more solid and compact than regular padlocks. Sometimes, they’re even bigger and heavier.
Beyond the Disc Locks: General Security Measures to Consider
Buying and using even the best disc locks will never be enough if you’re not mindful of general procedures, or shall we say general security measures. Having said that, it would be particularly helpful if you will be more mindful of the keys. You see, despite the disc locks’ glorious reputation, they’re only bound by one major weakness: a brittle key.
But again, a brittle key is nothing but a simple issue if you go beyond the extra mile of taking precautions.
Check out the general security measures to consider in owning disc locks
- Never ever buy or use second-hand disc locks.
- Even if you’re buying a trusted brand, buy them from trustworthy sellers.
- Choose the locks with extreme key designs to avoid easy replication. In case you lose your key, refer to customer service right away. Better yet, ask for spare keys when buying a disc lock.
- Although it may get pricey, still go for the indoor storage units for a more secure output.
- Be extra careful with the key. Store it well, by all means.
What Kind of Locks Should I Avoid?
Here are the kind of locks you are to avoid especially when dealing with self-storage efforts:
- Multiple Combination Padlocks
- Cheap and ordinary locks
- Single Combination Padlocks
- Old and overused padlocks
- Padlocks with common keys
- Greasy Cylinder Locks
- Open-Shackle Padlocks
Related read: Best Chef Knife Under 100
Can bolt cutters cut through my disc lock?
It actually depends on how hardened your disc lock is. Double-rounded disc locks might resist bolt cutters for an extended period of time. But on an average degree, a bolt cutter should be strong enough to cut through your disc lock.
Can bolt cutters cut through my Master Lock product?
Although 50% of the Master Lock products are designed to resist bolt cutters, most of them quickly give in to bolt cutters.
Always ask yourself this question- what’s the cost of the item you are protecting? This will help you decide on the cost of the padlock that you will be buying. And the best locks for storage units can help you keep your belongings safe and sound.
All the products we have on this list are from A-listed brands that are certified according to safety standards and have gone through various tests. You can go for any of the above locks and ensure the safety of your valuables without giving a second thought.
OUR #1 RECOMMENDATIONS
Apart from our top picks, we have a special recommendation for you that is not just based on statistics and expert opinions. It is more of a user experience recommendation that we would love to share with you.
We were very impressed by the BRINKS 173-80051 padlock in general. With an average weight and a solid stainless design, this lock can take blows without getting damaged easily. The most important aspect that makes this lock unique is the fact that it does not need a key at all. The combination mechanism increases the safety of the lock by a good margin.
The lock also comes at a very affordable price which isn’t too much to spend to save your valuables.